Since we moved to Pasig three years ago, last night was the first time I saw our place in flood. For the past 3 years many storms hit Manila, most of them are super typhoons but never leave our area in doused. Last night was not even a typhoon, it just rain so hard with thunder and lightning. I left the office at 7pm. When we reached the lobby of our building that’s the only time we learned that the rain was so terrible, my officemate and I decided to go since the lobby are full of smoking bystanders and we choose to get wet rather than caught an asthma due to smoke.
When I reached the tricycle station in our area around 8pm, I was surprised that there are no line ups of tricycle but a line of stranded commuters. I was wondering what was going on, it never occur to me that there's flood (whatsoever) because I never experience a flood in our area before.
After 10mins of waiting I was finally got a ride, that’s when I found out that we are in flood and I heard from the driver that earlier the flood is knee level. I saw a lot of plastics floating in the dark and smelly water (eww) nonetheless the kids are happily playing in the water as if they were in the ocean (where are your parents?)
When I saw litters floating, I suspected that the cause of flood is the clogged drainage. Maybe litters accumulated and clogged the passageway. It can be caused by those who don’t dispose their garbage properly.
I couldn't help but wonder, are people becoming too rude and irresponsible to their surroundings? When are we going to take to care of our environment? I’m not an environment expert and I am once guilty of being careless to my surroundings especially when I was a kid but I realized the damage I contributed to the destruction of our environment. It is a no-brainer to figure out how to take care of it. We know how, we just don’t have the discipline.
Thoughts to ponder: When are we going to learn the lesson? When we are all drowned?
When I reached the tricycle station in our area around 8pm, I was surprised that there are no line ups of tricycle but a line of stranded commuters. I was wondering what was going on, it never occur to me that there's flood (whatsoever) because I never experience a flood in our area before.
After 10mins of waiting I was finally got a ride, that’s when I found out that we are in flood and I heard from the driver that earlier the flood is knee level. I saw a lot of plastics floating in the dark and smelly water (eww) nonetheless the kids are happily playing in the water as if they were in the ocean (where are your parents?)
When I saw litters floating, I suspected that the cause of flood is the clogged drainage. Maybe litters accumulated and clogged the passageway. It can be caused by those who don’t dispose their garbage properly.
I couldn't help but wonder, are people becoming too rude and irresponsible to their surroundings? When are we going to take to care of our environment? I’m not an environment expert and I am once guilty of being careless to my surroundings especially when I was a kid but I realized the damage I contributed to the destruction of our environment. It is a no-brainer to figure out how to take care of it. We know how, we just don’t have the discipline.
Thoughts to ponder: When are we going to learn the lesson? When we are all drowned?

3 comments:
that's the problem of manila. :(
i left it after 2 years of working there, i had enough of the filth and flooding.
take care of you!
Hi,
Thanks for your comments on my blog. I really cherich every word of support that I get. Heartbreak is hard.
I am loving your blog... love all your quotes - they are brilliant!!
Pia
i really agree. manila has a big garbage problem. in addition, we do not have adequate storm drain facilities, and that is exacerbated by the clogging caused by all the garbage. sigh.
Post a Comment